Friday, December 21, 2012

The CSF leak back story


No one has any idea why I had a CSF leak again after all these years. It was so slow, I had no other symptoms other than the annoying drip in the morning & then every so often during the day/night. No unusual headaches or anything. The headaches I did get went away with Advil or Aleve. 

I think I've had it for awhile (I'm going to guess since the summer) and it progressively became worse. In October, I had my annual butt-kicking sinus infection & I went to my primary doctor for antibiotics. I noticed the drip more then & mentioned it, but she said to take the meds & it'll go away. It didn't. 

So in November I went to the ENT because it was still dripping. He scoped my nose & because of all the scar tissue, he couldn't see anything. He gave me allergy meds & a script for a CT scan. Two weeks later, the allergy meds/sprays didn't work and the CT scan was inconclusive, due to not being able to see through all the scar tissue. So he said I need to see a neurosurgeon to rule out a CSF leak.  So another 2 weeks go by & I finally see the Neuro. I explain this long story, lay down for 5 minutes, sit up giving him 3-4 drips to analyze & get back to me. He was pretty confident it was a CSF leak hearing all this. That was a Friday. First thing Monday morning I get a call from his P.A., saying it was a leak & they scheduled me for surgery on Thursday. 

I was floored. I was in such denial, I just lost it. It was all happening too fast. I had to go in the next day for all sorts of preop tests etc. Not being in Seattle where they knew what to do and how to handle everything with me was terrifying! The Neuro had done hundreds of these and I felt I had to trust him & God that they would get me through it. 

Thankfully he did his job well & I no longer have the stupid drip. But from now on, there's no more roller coasters, diving & swimming to the bottom of the deep end or anything that puts pressure on my head. I've even sworn off straws indefinitely. They give you wrinkles anyway. Anything to not have to through this again. 

No comments: