One of the hardest things about Cushings in general is getting diagnosed. It's hard that this disease puts us through horrible symptoms, but what makes it harder is doctors not believing us and blaming it on something completely different. Doctors who don't listen, don't care, don't want to learn. Doctors who want to treat and street. Unfortunately, that's not Cushings. Cushings needs lots and lots and LOTS of testing to be diagnosed. Like I've said before, everyone is different and needs different medical care.
But in the last 10 years, my faith in the medical community has wavered. Oddly enough it didn't start with my Cushings ordeal. It started with my husband and his missed cancer, and then my son who had kidney issues. It just happened to have ended with me and cushings. I am now sooo on top of doctors when they start passing out a diagnosis! I question everything. I research everything. I feel like I can't rely on them anymore. I've called one endocrinologist already. This was how my call went to one of the physicians' assistants.
Me: Hi there! I was wondering if Dr. Xxxxx is familiar with Cushings Disease and has treated any cushings patients all the way through to surgery?
P.A.: The doctor is familiar with Cushings, but he's never had a cushings patient. Cushings is not a common disease. Though if the doctor saw a Cushings patient, he could diagnose them.
Me: Has he diagnosed anyone with PCOS?
P.A.: Of course! That's a more common issue, especially among women. It is treatable too.
Me: Is it possible that any or all of those patients could've had Cushings, since they do show similar symptoms?
P.A.: No. That's not possible. Doctor Xxxxx has been in the field for 40 years and would know a Cushings patient if he saw it.
Me: Oh. Ok. Thank you very much for your time.
REALLY?!?!?!! I wanted to scream! I wanted to tell this so called assistant to really look it up! That it was more prevalent than she thought!! Because that doctor has no clue what he's doing?!?!! All those poor women who have no clue if they really have PCOS or Cushings or both?!?!
If you are reading this... Question EVERYTHING! From everyday diagnosis, to medicine to getting a second or more opinion!! There are good doctors out there, but you really have to look to find them!! So my Endocrinologist search continues...

No comments:
Post a Comment