One thing I hate so much, is seeing articles in the media about stress and not how it relates to Cushings. They are all over the place! Some of the claims include just enough scientific fact to make even
the savviest consumers say, “That makes sense, I think I’ll try that.”
They hit home emotionally by focusing on that common hot button that stress is (and who isn’t at least a little stressed in this day and age?).
Brilliant marketing. Convincing even. Unfortunately, most of the claims being
made are completely false, with only a tiny thread of truth woven in. There are so many people out there struggling with Cushings and they read this stuff and think it will help! Hopefully they see that it doesn't and a doctor will listen to them, but that's not always likely either!!Here's one article: How to Stop Stress Eating. It talks about things you can do to stop eating so much. This is one of the first things that doctors tell patients, is that they have to lose weight. Many Cushings patients actually try to eat well and yet how can we really prove that when cushings makes us LOOK like we are eating everything in sight? Some people probably do eat when they are stressed. I know I was one of them. But I know not all my weight was because of that. High levels of cortisol are merely one contributing factor to storage of abdominal fat, not the primary cause. An excess of calories from too much food and not enough exercise is what makes someone gain weight. Stress is not what causes someone to get fat. Not everyone who is stressed gains fat. Many people even lose weight while under stress.
Here's another article: Five Questions to Live Stress Free! This one tells you what to do so you aren't so stressed. But there's not real help here at all. If someone is struggling from Cushings, none of these questions will really be answerable.First questions is "What is Really Bothering Me?" Most cushies have no clue what it is that's really bothering them. It also could be a myriad of things that just doesn't go together.
Question two is "Who Am I Angry At?" Again another question that a cushie is going to say, I don't really know? Rage can come out of no where and for no good reason!
Third question is "What is My Vision?" Well that we may be able to answer, sort of. We all want to feel better. We want to do things and get on with our lives.
Question number four: "Who is Draining my Energy? "Really good question! Too bad most people won't look deeper to the cortisol connection. Too bad doctors will blow it off and not look further themselves.
Last Question: "Who Do I Need to Forgive?" The answer would be yourself. We as cushies are sooo hard on ourselves. Especially when still trying to get diagnosed. There's no need to forgive it all until a doctor apologizes for not looking into Cushings to rule it out completely first!!
So be careful when reading these articles as they may not be giving you the whole story. Maybe one of these days in the future we'll see a story on stress AND how it may relate to Cushings. Hopefully someday.
1 comment:
I'm one of those people who used to lose weight when stressed, so I was very confused when I gained weight and was always depressed. But I didn't know what else to do think and chalked it up to "stress" as you pointed out. If there was news on this I'm sure I'd have put it together faster. I saw an abc news report on Cortisol actually, but they didn't mention that sometimes this is a sign of a rare disease!! I bet money a doctor would not have believed me until I got the "obvious signs" either Ie stretch marks. It's very sad what Cushies go through without fully knowing
Post a Comment