Monday, April 2, 2012

DAY 2: Ten things I can't live without

There are lots of things in life that we can't live without.  But there are things a former Cushings patient now Addison patient must have, that they really can't live without.  That's literal and figuratively. For me, the following ten things are what I cannot live without:

  1.  Hydrocortisone.  My life sort of depends on this one right now. 
  2.  My other hormone medications.  Levothyroxine, Genotropin and my Estrogen patch.  I could physically go without these hormones, but they would make me feel symptoms that I'd rather not have to deal with.  They add to the big picture and make me feel whole. I can't go without these.
  3.  An Endocrinologist. Right now, since Dr. L has left, I have no endocrinologist.  I am in the process of looking for one to follow me during this journey.   I will write another post another day on this issue.
  4.  My Primary Doctor.  My primary doctor here locally has been a doll.  He will give me any tests I ask for and he's on call for me should I ever need him.  Usually in an emergency, they go to a service to help. Not for me, as all I have to do is ask for him.  He's been there since day one of this Cushings journey and never questioned me when I said I needed to go to Seattle.  He's worked with Dr. L and I just can't do this without him.
  5.  Sleep.  Now that I can sleep 8 hours and feel fully refreshed and ready to go, I wouldn't give it up.    My body needs down time to recoup as well and that's just something I can't live without. 
  6.  Food.  Now this is pretty basic and obviously we can't live long without food.  But because my body has suffered from what cushings did to it, I need to feed it right.  That means lots more fruits and veggies, whole grains, and even some salty foods thrown in there.  Sometimes I crave salty potato chips or pretzels and nothing else will satisfy it! 
  7.  Water. Since my surgery, I drink more water than anything else.  I hated the taste of water before that and never felt it quenched my thirst.  Now it does.  I remember the days in the hospital when I had DI and had pitchers lined up of water.  I'm not that bad now, but I drink just under a gallon a day.  
  8. My parents. My mom was the one that went out to Seattle with me each time and was there for me when I had my surgery.  My dad worked hard and paid her way to go each time, as well as called Dr. L before my surgery and asked questions & told him to take good care of me. 
  9. My kids.  They really are number one to me, but in this case they aren't.  But I could never live without them.  They are who I live for.  I want to get better and be a better person for them.  During my cushings days, I was a yeller.  I hated it.  I felt like I had no control of myself tho.  Now I'm different and I know they see it.  We get along much better now too.  I love my lil' M & Em's.  
  10. My husband.  He was unsure what was going on with me and told me to rely on the local doctors.  But after a year with no help he told me to go ahead and go out west and see if Dr. L could help me.  He stayed with my kids because we were both afraid to leave them, even tho he could've come with me to Seattle.  He dealt with my symptoms day after day and still loved me despite it.  I am grateful to him and I know now our relationship is better, now that I am too.  
  11. The Cushings Help Board.  As much as I wanted this to make my top ten, it was just under.  But I couldn't live without the help of those ladies and men during my Cushings days.  I try to post there when I can now to help others.  But they are such an amazing resource! I would recommend that message board to anyone!

No comments: