I'm just a mom who was dealt the diagnosis of Cushings Disease and this is my journey from surgery through today and how I get through each day.
Monday, April 16, 2012
DAY 16: Hyperpigmentation caused by Addison's Disease
The cause of hyperpigmentation usually is traced to the activity and presence of melanocytes. When there's sun exposure or idiopathically in some disorders, hyperplasia of melanocytes occurs and causes hyperpigmentation. Freckles is one form of hyperpigmentation. That is something that I have developed since my pit surgeries! I never had freckles before. Ever. But now, as soon as I spend more than 10 minutes in the sun, my whole face bursts out into freckles!! I've never had my melanocyte stimulating hormone (MSH) tested before but I'd love to get it done to see what my levels are. With my ACTH levels still at the upper end of normal it's got to cause some of these little issues! Elevations of MSH and ACTH levels occur as the pituitary gland tries to stimulate the adrenal glands, melanin production increases, causing hyperpigmentation. The hyperpigmentation is diffuse, but more pronounced in sun-exposed areas. Hence, the freckles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment