Saturday, April 14, 2012

DAY 14: Things that raise & lower cortisol


One of the first things one should do when testing for Cushings is to get off all medication if possible. That includes the birth control pill for any women that are on it.  There are many drugs out there that will mess up results and may even make cortisol levels higher or lower than they really are!

Even after surgery there are some meds that I can't take, because they lower my cortisol.  My cortisol is already low enough, I don't need it any lower! I learned the hard lesson yesterday.  The night before last, I took NyQuil.  I knew I was sick with a cold and thought I could handle it.  I felt fine for the most part.  But as I learned today, I have a sinus infection.  That infection alone, lowered my cortisol levels.  Then on top of that I took NyQuil, which lowered it some more! No wonder I felt like total crap yesterday!! It took 50mg of hydro yesterday and 30mg of hydro today to feel better.  But I digress...


Things that will lower your cortisol levels:
  1. Grapefruits & Grapefruit Juice
  2. Medicines like: Xanax, Azithromycin, Biaxin, Bactrim, Dextromethorphan, & some Anti Depressives
  3. Supplements like: Grape Seed Extract, Co Q 10, Ginseng, St. John's Wort, Fish Oil, & Vitamin C
Things that will raise your cortisol levels:
  1. Alcohol
  2. Dehydration
  3. Caffeine & Guarana
  4. Exercise
  5. Herbal Supplement Licorice
  6. Estrogen, Progesterone, & Testosterone
There are a lot more medicines and supplements that affect your cortisol levels.  Just ask your doctor if any medicine you take will interfere with your testing! Or if you are postop, will that medicine lower your cortisol levels so you will have to stress dose with hydrocortisone! I'd hate for you to find out the hard way like I did!


No comments: