Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I'm going to start backwards and work my way forward since I'm writing this so late.

My twins went out to start trick or treating at 5:45pm and stayed out til just over 8pm. I think that's the longest time they've been out there yet! But they had a great time. They started out with cousins and ended up running into other kids from school. By the end of the night, they had a huge group of kids trick or treating together. I think that's cool to do it with a lot of friends. They were Buba Fett & a Princess from Medieval Times.

Hubby and I went with them along with MIL. My MIL and I conked out about an hour into it. Difference is, she's almost 30 yrs older than me. I just have no energy to walk much. But I did as much as I could. I'll probably pay for it tomorrow.

Before we went trick or treating we had gotten the kids from school at 3:30 and I went to pick up the pizza we ordered. Wanted to get it early this year instead of waiting last minute like we did last year. The kids hung out and watched some TV and then we ate dinner and then they got dressed up. It was chilly outside, so I had to make sure they were nice and warm under their costume. They were so excited!!

The kids ended up coming home from lunch at noon, then back to school at 1:15, for their school parade at 1:30pm. It was sooo cute! All the kids dressed up! You could definitely see the difference from the kids costumes as they got older. The younger kids had nice cartoon ones and as they got older, they were more and more scary. But the kids had fun doing that and the parents love seeing all the kids.

Now to the part about me...this is somewhat long.

I woke up at 7:15am and left for the hospital for my GH stim test at 7:35. Got into registration at 7:45am and was upstairs to do the test by 8:15am. Here's where the problem was tho. It seems all 4 people that saw the script that Dr. L gave me, didn't actually read it. It wasn't on a little script pad, it was complete directions, written out thoroughly on a 8 1/2 x 11" paper. Nor did they understand what the GH stim test was or what arginine is. They actually argued with me. They saw at the bottom of the paper that it said "Additonal Labs: IGF-1." So when I got up to do the test, all they did was take blood to check my IGF-1 levels. I ALREADY KNEW THEY WERE LOW!!! GAH!! They did something tho w/o even reading!!!!! How inexcusible is that?!?!?!?!? I was so upset, crying and just totally frustrated.

They tried to fix it saying the Cancer center could probably do it. So they called over there and said they could. I felt some relief thinking it would get done. Little did I know. When I got over there they said I was supposed to have a Cotrosyn test done. I was like WHAT??!? No.... (Least I know where I can get that test done tho, but that's another post.) I told them to read the whole paper. They were shocked and said they couldn't do it there. They didn't have arginine and on top of that, even if they did, they couldn't do the test because the Dr. that ordered the test was out of state. DUH!! Grr.. You can't imagine the tears that came and the frustration I felt. I hadn't eaten, or taken my cortisol yet (was going to take it before the test around 8am but forgot with all the frustration) so I was not in a good place. It was bad.

A nurse said she would help me, but I had to get a local doctor that was part of that hospital to write this script. And not just for the script for this test, but other things too. Like history & physical, medications I'm on, and the docs last progress note on me. Seriously ridiculous in my mind. But I need this test. So I will be seeing my Primary doc on Monday. Again. I'm sure he'll be happy to see me. *sigh* I pray he helps me.

I will also be talking to the hospital administration about the lack of care. I want to do something to help these people become knowledgeable on Cushings, but not sure it will happen. But I want them to be reprimanded one way or another. This was unacceptable. I was upset for a few hrs afterwards. Another week gone by w/o this test. I'm not feeling any better. I hurt. All over I hurt. It's just not right.

No comments: