Monday, September 22, 2008

I have a case of the Mondays....

Ever hear of that line from the movie "Office Space"? Made me think of it today as I'm just feeling blah. I got a call on Friday afternoon with more of my levels from my testing last Monday. Turns out my IGF-1 levels are 58 with the low normal range being at 115. So I am quite deficient in growth hormone. They told me I had to find someone to do a Growth Hormone test locally or I would have to come back out to Seattle. *sigh* I didn't know this would be such an issue. My local endo hasn't even heard of that test!! Grr.. I'm calling all major hospitals in the tri-state area to see if they have it and can do it for me. No luck yet.

My ACTH was at 17, and the range for that was 6-48. So normal I guess. I've never had a normal ACTH number, so I guess it's good. Seems almost high for having a cortisol level of 1. Maybe slight addisons? I have no idea. I hate still feeling so stupid about all this. I'm just still out of sorts. I'm hoping it's just cuz my hormones are so out of whack right now.

I talked to my ob/gyn this morning and he's running another round of labs for female hormones. I made him add free T3 and free T4 along with DHEA. Hopefully these will give me more answers. I want to take the thyroid meds if it will help, but not at the expense that I'm on too much and it will cause other problems. Since I'm not really "low" yet, just the low end of normal, I'm not gonna push my luck until I get more answers. I have my annual with my ob/gyn on Oct 30th, so I'll get to talk to the doc more then. Until then, I just have to deal with the crazy symptoms. The hardest one is feeling somewhat depressed. Sometimes I just cry at the drop of a hat and think things are too much for me and that I can't handle it. But I have no one here to take care of me, so I have to deal with it and just be there for my kids. They are my strength (as well as my weakness) right now.

Other than feeling just "blah", I'm doing ok. It was nice to see my dad this weekend. . I think he had a good time. My kids loved having him around. We went to Medieval Times on Saturday. He left Sunday afternoon. He could see what kind of shape I was in and was worried about me. Especially with my son pushing every one of my buttons. I didn't eat too much while he was here, but I've been drinking quite a bit again. Some days I don't drink much at all, and other days I'm drinking like a fiend. That must be hormone related too. Same goes for eating too. Some days the thought of food makes me sick and others I'm eating like a pig. I should probably start writing down all I eat & drink again and see if there's a pattern. We'll see.

Hubby is at grad school tonight and kids have CCD tonight. So I'll get a little peace later too. As soon as hubby gets home from school (usually around 10), I'll go to bed. Since I sleep so soundly, I'm afraid of being alone with the kids. Always afraid I won't hear them if they need me. But it's another one of those crazy things with me. I just have to get it all worked out...and soon.

1 comment:

Robin said...

Kay, even subclinical hypothyroidism can cause depression and mood swings. I think you might feel better on some thyroid meds.

XOOXO
Robin