Friday, June 20, 2008

CSF leak??! No..just a HORRIBLE sinus infection!!

I woke up at 7am this morning totally terrified that I was having a CSF leak (cerebral spinal fluid leak). My nose was just drippy and gross. I called hubby up (who was getting himself ready for work) to come see. He of course wasn't sure what to think, so we called Dr. L. (I hated doing that since it was 4am his time, but I panicked!) He said he didn't think it was a CSF leak because I didn't get the positional headache that almost always accompanies them. He said to ride out the leak and see if it got worse over the course of the day. If it got worse, I was to go to the ER. Great.

Well of course I've had this stupid headache for the last week or so now, so I don't know if that's part of this or not. It doesn't hurt like I've heard CSF leaks do, but still. I try to rest and I keep tissues in my nose to help the leakage. I also started to notice this GAWD awful smell. Not sure what it was, but it was making me sick to my stomach. At around 10am, I finally broke down and called my local ENT (ear/nose/throat doctor). They would know one way or another what was going on. That's why I saw them preoperatively right? I was able to get an appt at 1:20. Great!!

So I eat breakfast/lunch and we get the kids ready to go. We get to the doctors office and I get brought back after a few minutes. Nothing like my mom telling the receptionist that I can't sit long cuz I just had brain surgery less than 2 weeks ago. hehe! In any case, it turns out I have a MASSIVE sinus infection!! That smell I was smelling was the infection! It was all going down my throat. They did the test to check for a CSF leak as well, but nothing showed up, so they were sure it was just a sinus infection. YUCK! Thankfully they gave me a script for an antibiotic & an antihistamine. We dropped them off before we came home because I wanted to get them asap!

I took my first pill at 5pm and I am praying it would work fast. I feel like pure crap. My head aches. My body hurts. I spoke to Dr. L, who informed me I had to go back up to my 30/30/30 levels and stop the weaning until this infection was under control. *sigh* Now I'm just going to go to bed with a bunch of ice packs and pray the morning is better....

No comments: